Committed to our environment
Şişecam understands how important the environment is to our industry and communities. We take pride in the fact that all of our products are made from naturally occurring ingredients. Soda ash is produced from a mineral mined from the ground and refined with no additional chemicals added to the product. Our product is pure and safe enough to be added to food products that are consumed every day. In addition, Şişecam soda ash is more environmentally friendly than other products that could be used in its place. Şişecam is committed to working towards producing innovative, reliable, and safe products for the environment and for the future.
Recycle | Refine | Reuse
The natural soda ash that we produce in the Green River Basin uses evaporative crystallizer technology. Similar to all evaporative systems, a concentrated aqueous solution is introduced to maintain the purity and quality of the refined soda ash product. The run-off of this stream (a mixture of soda ash and water) is contained in holding ponds throughout the facility. Şişecam has developed a unique solution to reduce the capacity of these ponds and recover the useable soda ash, effectively recovering waste while improving efficiencies. The purified soda ash crystals, chemically sodium carbonate decahydrate, are harvested from the ponds seasonally and introduced as an additional feedstock to complement the mining of trona ore to produce soda ash at the facility.
- We will maintain an environmental management system (EMS) appropriate to the purpose and context of our organization
- Our EMS will provide a framework for setting environmental objectives
- We will fulfill our compliance obligations to the best of our ability
- We are committed to protecting the environment and prevention of pollution
- We will continually improve our EMS with the purpose of enhancing our environmental performance
- Protect our natural environment through mitigating adverse environmental impacts
- Achieve compliance with current operating permits from all regulatory entities
- Provide thorough proactive permitting of future projects with affected regulatory bodies
- Foster culture of environmental responsibility through regular onsite training